We are defined by our insistence on excellence. For over a decade we've been providing unparalleled experiences for our customers and audience members.
We perform for schools, libraries, scouts and private events. Each crowd can have as many as 300 kids or as few as two. Most kids will be between 5–11 but they can be as young as 3 or as old as 14. Adults (parents or teachers) will almost always be in the room with you.
Each performance is 45 minutes long and is performed by just one ScienceTeller. The ScienceTeller is responsible for driving to the location, meeting the contact person, unloading the car, setting up and performing the show.
The performance alternates between telling a fun story and conducting an exciting science experiment to help bring the story to life. The experiments are conducted with the help of audience volunteers.
After the show, the ScienceTeller chats with the kids and their parents, promotes the company, answers questions, cleans up and packs the car.
What we're looking for
- Positive, friendly and outgoing personalities.
- Lots of energy and enthusiasm.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
We will teach you the rest, including all the science you need to know!
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must own a reliable, trustworthy car (and a valid license/insurance). and be willing to drive up to two hours each way.
- You must have a variable or highly flexible work schedule.
- You must have extraordinary customer service skills.
- You must be comfortable interacting with kids from ages 2 to 14.
- You must be organized and responsible.
- You must have grit and like to work independently.
Scheduling & performance season
ScienceTellers is a part-time performing job with variable scheduling, best suited for side-giggers and "solopreneurs" who balance multiple side jobs, gigs and projects, and are looking to add ScienceTellers to the list of organizations they do work for. ScienceTellers is also a good fit for teachers with the summers off.
Summer is our busiest time, so we are ideally looking to hire performers who can commit to performing with us from June through August. After the summer, you can choose to stay on board to perform throughout the school year, though the work load will be lighter and more sporadic from September through May.
We accept applications year-round, but you should apply by May 1 to start training in time for the summer. The earlier, the better! If we aren't currently looking for someone in your area, we will keep your application on file until a position opens up.
We are currently hiring ScienceTellers to perform in/around the following states/regions:
- New York City (ideally Queens/Brooklyn and Long Island)
- Upstate New York (Rockland/Orange County)
- Northern New Jersey
- Philadelphia, PA
- Baltimore, MD
- Washington, DC
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- Orlando, FL
- Miami, FL
- Minneapolis, MN
- Chicago, IL
- Nashville, TN
- Atlanta, GA
- Harrisburg, PA
- $75 per show, plus tips
- Travel stipend per show
- Lodging and meal stipend if traveling long distance
- 10% bonus for repeat customers and referrals
- Opportunity for a $5/show raise each September
How to apply
- Read the job description above. Then read it again. Make sure it sounds like a good fit for you!
- Fill out the online application here: Job Application.
- Qualified applicants will be asked to audition via video.
- Receive an invitation to train. Training is completed online and takes about a week. At the end of the week you'll know the entire show and all the experiments!
- We'll mail you the equipment to do the show, and you'll record yourself performing a complete dress rehearsal. We'll pay you as if it's a real show.
- Sign all the paperwork.
- We'll start booking programs for you. Welcome to the team!
If you have any questions about the hiring process, please email email@example.com.