We are defined by our insistence on excellence. For over a decade we've been providing unparalleled experiences for every one of our customers and audience members.
We perform for schools, libraries, scouts and events. Each crowd can have as many as 300 kids or as few as two. Most kids will be between 5–11 but they can be as young as 3 or as old as 14. Adults (parents or teachers) will almost always be in the room with you.
Each performance is 45 minutes long and is performed by one Scienceteller. The performance alternates between telling a fun story and conducting an exciting science experiment to help bring the story to life. The experiments are conducted with the help of audience volunteers.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We look for enthusiastic performers with engaging, magnetic personalities who love kids and have exceptional customer service skills. It's OK if you're not a scientist; we’ll teach you everything you need to know.
Because we book programs several months in advance, we are looking for people who can commit long-term (at least through the summer). If you are intensely auditioning year-round and looking for a short-term, "disposable" job to last you until you land your next big production, please reconsider applying for Sciencetellers.
- You must own a reliable, trustworthy car and be willing to drive up to two hours.
- You must have a variable or flexible work schedule.
- You must have a smartphone with a data plan.
- You must have excellent customer service skills. You are the face of the face of the Sciencetellers brand.
- You must be super comfortable interacting with kids from ages 3 to 14. The show is entirely for and about them!
- You must be organized and responsible. You'll need to get to the right location at the right time, manage your inventory, and complete performance reports and expense sheets (in addition to performing the shows!).
- You must have grit. You are part of a team but you will be working independently. Sometimes you'll have to overcome obstacles and solve problems creatively in order to get the job done and make everyone happy.
Sciencetellers is a part-time performing job with variable scheduling, best suited for side-giggers and "solopreneurs." Ideal candidates balance multiple side jobs, gigs and projects, and are looking to add Sciencetellers to the list of organizations they do work for.
Programs are scheduled for you based on the availability you provide. The more available you make yourself, the more work you will get. To work with us during the summer, you should be free of major conflicts from mid-June through mid-August.
Summer is our busiest time, so we are looking to hire performers who can commit to performing with us from mid-June to mid-August. After the summer, you can choose to stay on board to perform throughout the school year, though the work load will be lighter.
At times we may be hiring in specific areas for performers during the school year, too. Usually these are areas where we have performed for several seasons and as such, there is a great demand for programs all year round.
We accept applications year-round, but you should apply between September and February to start training in time for the summer. The earlier, the better! If we aren't currently looking for someone in your area, we will keep your application on file until a position opens up.
- $60–$80 per show, plus tips.
- Travel stipend per show, based on distance.
- Lodging and meal stipend if traveling long distance.
- 10% bonus for repeat customers and referrals.
- Evaluation (opportunity for a raise) after each summer.
HOW TO APPLY / HIRING PROCESS
- Read the job description above. Then read it again. Make sure it sounds like a good fit for you!
- Fill out the online Job Application.
- Email us a video clip of yourself performing, ideally with or for children.
- Qualified applicants will be asked to audition.
- Receive an invitation to train. Training is completed online and takes about a week. At the end of the week you'll know the entire show and all the experiments!
- We'll mail you the equipment to do the show, and you'll record yourself performing a complete dress rehearsal. We'll pay you as if it's a real show.
- Sign all the paperwork and the summer contract, if applicable for your area.
- We'll start booking programs for you. Welcome to the team!
If you have any questions about the hiring process, please email email@example.com.